About Me

My photo
We have lived in Romania for 16 years now. We have 6 kids. The top photo of our family is the day we met the twins, just before their 4th birthday. We were granted custody of them on their 5th birthday.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Encouraging Words

I have had the little devotional book Streams in the Desert for quite a few years now and it continues to encourage me. Yesterday's reading was just what I needed.
From the beginning of the summer I have been restless. Four years is a long time without a furlough and knowing we have to wait another year for a furlough was really pulling me down. I was thinking that I didn't know how I would make it another year without a break and really discouraged and having a pity party. Then through the Lord's Word I started to realize that I was living in defeat and started claiming His promises that are mine, I CAN do all things through Christ, His grace IS sufficient for me, those who wait on the Lord SHALL renew their strength. Little by little I came out of the pity party and yesterday's reading just reminded me its not about where I am but it's about the proper perspective. The verse was Job 28:14, "It is not in me."

I reworded the first part of the reading to fit my situtation:
I think if I could just get away, take a vacation, have a break, go to America, everything would be better. It would calm my restless heart. But no matter where I would go, be it the Smokey Mountains of N.C. or the beautiful beaches of S.C., the sea and the mountain would say, "It is not in me!"

"What I really need is the deep ocean of God's love and the high mountains of His truth within me. His wisdom has depths and heights that neither the ocean nor the mountains could contain and that couldnot be compared with jewels, gold, or precious stones. Christ is wisdom and He is our deepest need. Our inner restlesness can only be pacified by the revelation of His eternal friendship and love for us.

...my Home is God, and sheltered there, God meets the trials of my earthly life, God compasses me round from storm and strife, God takes the burden of my daily care. O Wondrous Place. O Home divinely fair!"


So, as you can see, it is not a break or vacation that I need. It's not even American soil or a rest. What I need is to realize that everything I need is in Christ. He is my hope, my strength, my joy, my all and I need nothing else! If you are restless or homesick today look to God, he is your home!

No comments: