About Me

My photo
We have lived in Romania for 16 years now. We have 6 kids. The top photo of our family is the day we met the twins, just before their 4th birthday. We were granted custody of them on their 5th birthday.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Longing for God

Something I read today and was blessed by. This is an excerpt from an online book on fasting by John Piper from the introduction:
"The more deeply you walk with Christ, the hungrier you get for Christ...the more homesick you get for heaven...the more you want "all the fullness of God"...the more you want to be done with sin...the more you want the Bridegroom to come again...the more you want the church revived and purified with the beauty of Jesus...the more you want a great awakening to God's realities in the cities...the more you want to see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ penetrate the darkness of all the unreached peoples of the world...the more you want to see false world views yield to the force of Truth...the more you want to see pain relieved and tears wiped away and death destroyed...the more you long for every wrong to be made right and the justice and grace of God to fill the earth like the waters cover the sea.
If you don't feel strong desires for the manifestation of God, it is not because you have drunk deeply and are satisfied. It is because you have nibbled so long at the table of the world. Your soul is stuffed with small things, and there is no room for the great. God did not create you for this. There is an appetite for God. And it can be awakened. I invite you to turn from the dulling effects of food and the dangers of idolatry, and to say with some simple fast: 'This much, O God, I want you.'"
This made me think: Do I really want God more than anything else? Am I willing to give up some good gifts that He has given me in order to pursue God more? Am I so caught up with things, maybe even good things that God has given me, that I have forgotten the source of where these good things have come from? I want to spend some time laying aside things in order to pursue God. I want to linger more directly in the presence of God through the revelation of his Word.

No comments: